This Pasta Puttanesca with Smoked Herring is everything you’ve been wanting.
This recipe is easy (and quick) enough for a weeknight or decadent enough for a weekend! Pasta Puttanesca with Smoked Herring is the easiest way to step-up your spaghetti recipes.
Yield: 4 servings (approximately 1 cup each)
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
1 tin 190 g Smoked Herring from Mary Manette Seafood, drained
2 tbsp 30 ml Olive Oil
3 each Garlic Cloves, minced
1 can 796 ml Whole Stewed Tomatoes, drained
½ cup 125 ml Crushed Tomatoes
½ cup 125ml Black Olives, pitted and cut in half
2 tbsp 30 ml Capers
¼ cup 60 ml Fresh Oregano, removed from stems
¼ cup 60 ml Fresh Parsley, roughly chopped
To taste Black Pepper
1 box 454 g Spaghetti
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook for 10 minutes or to desired doneness.
2. Heat a medium pot over medium heat; add olive oil.
3. Add garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds.
4. Add drained whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, capers, and black olives and bring mixture to a
5. Cook, stirring often, for 14-15 minutes; during the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the smoked
herring, half of the fresh oregano & parsley, and season with black pepper.
6. Remove spaghetti from heat and drain; portion into 4 bowls.
7. Top spaghetti with puttanesca sauce, garnish with remaining fresh oregano and parsley, and serve hot.
Serve with a Caesar salad, fresh garlic bread, and a glass of crisp white wine.
If you do not have fresh oregano and parsley substitute with 2 tsp of dried oregano and 2 tsp of dried