Sustainable Mission

At Mary Manette Seafood, we value sustainability through commerce, conservation, community and a deep respect for local culture. Over a century ago, my great-grandmother, Mary Manette traveled through the night by horse and wagon from West Chezzetcook, Nova Scotia to set up her fish stand bright and early at the Halifax Farmers Market. Her seafood was highly sought after and known for its exceptional flavour and freshness. Quality was important to her and is important to us, which is why all of our Canadian tinned seafood is hand-packed and infused with flavourful brines, natural woodsmoke and lots of fresh ocean air. Mary Manette Seafood is committed to the long term health of our oceans and the importance of maintaining sustainable Canadian fish stocks. We support effective fisheries management as well as the livelihoods of fisheries dependent communities

B Corporation Pending

Certified B Corporations™ are businesses that do more than make a profit.  B Corps™ prioritize people and our planet in everything they do. We are excited to be B Corporation Pending, and soon to be only the second B Corporation on Prince Edward Island.

Energy Negative

We work with Bullfrog Power to offset our energy consumption. Bullfrog Power puts more renewable energy on the grid than we use each month– making our energy consumption a negative balance.

Our shellfish products are made from 100% (would be) food waste

We use the shellfish that are harvested but have broken shells or are otherwise not aesthetically perfect enough to be used in restaurants, despite the meat being perfect. By choosing the “brokens,” we are actively contributing to a decrease in food waste and the resulting greenhouse gas emissions. 

90% of our shipping weight is consumable

In the shipment of fresh and frozen seafood, oftentimes 90% of the shipping weight is wasted, but with our tins, 90% of the shipping weight is consumable! And the other 10% is recyclable. 

Plastic Neutral by 2023

In on-boarding of our Seacuterie Sauce, we knew that the best option for our sauce bottle was not necessarily the best for the environment. To combat our new plastic usage, we work with RePurpose Global to offset the plastic that we use. For every kilogram of plastic that we use in our packaging, they will recover the exact amount of plastic out of our oceans. We are committed to being Plastic Neutral by 2023– follow us on social media to stay up to date on this progress.

Living Wage & Staff Support

We support our staff in every way we can, most notably by paying a living wage.

We donate any surplus, unsold products to charitable organisations in our community.

While we do our best not to over-produce, occasionally, we do have surplus. When this happens, we work with Second Harvest to ensure that our products don’t end up in landfills, but rather go to the members of our community in need.

Discounts for Minority Owned Businesses

We offer discounted products for minority owned businesses. Shoot us an email to learn how!